Friday, August 28, 2015

wow long time. also, snakes.

Uhhh updating with a totally random mixture of thing things and my new pets!

A couple of the dog doodlie commissions!

Remix the Border Collie

And a dachshund!

I felt the need to draw trees and wind one day...


YEahhhhh things.

In other news, I got a few new snake pets in the past few months! They're adorable and docile and calm and sweet. 

My first one was an albino male ball python named Cake. He's super interesting and inquisitive and adorable and just kind of pokes his nose around on my hand, seeing what is safe to climb on and what is not. ;__; You can see his red pupil looking this way and that too. Contrary to popular belief, snake pupils are not fixed. 

Cute. 


This is the cute poop for real. I put him in some reptile-safe succulents for photos LOL. I'm sure he loves me for it... (not really)

My second ball python is a much larger black pastel female named Blackout. I obtained her mainly to eventually breed Albino Black Pastels in the future, which are the most awesome looking gold-white thing. Blackout is about x203984 more fearful and flighty than Cake, even though she is huge. She literally flips into a scared ball if I surprise her by touching the lid of her tub. The same human hand that I see every day, says she! Such scary!


She is purdy though.

Third snake... I went to the Reptile Super Show in LA a few weeks ago. I thought to myself... if I see a snake that I love and is also a good deal, I will bring him/her home. If I do not, that is also fine. I entered the expo and saw all the snakes and realized that if I leave here without a new snake, I will be sad. :| 

So I didn't. Ha.

This is Vigil, the literal sweetest, calmest, most chill Dumeril's Boa. She will grow a little bigger than female ball pythons... The average adult size for females is 6 feet, but 7 feet is not unheard of at all. Then again, 5 feet max is also not unheard of. So I guess I'll just find out how she will turn out in about 4 years and go from there. LOL. That said, I know that she is on the small side for her age, maybe a hatchling who was difficult to get started on eating.


Vigil is all cool and vigilant-looking, but is actually just a calm and lazy blob who is okay with everything.


Vigil kinda just falls asleep in my lap every time I take her out. I sit at my computer and she slowly gets into a comfortable position and sleeps for... forever. Hours, if she wanted to, I'm sure. The longest has been 2 hours, before I felt like maaaybe I should probably put her back before she melds in one with my skin.

And the other day, she curled into a position and fell asleep in my arms. So cute, I almost cried.

I've also concluded that snakes really are the #1 most misunderstood and stereotyped animal in the animal kingdom, when it comes to the extent of contrast between stereotypes vs. reality. I was actually quite shocked by how my coworkers reacted to my snakes. I swear to God, everyone would almost rather believe the Hollywood creations and horror movies than actually be educated about these animals. There are so many myths and tall tales that people today (with so much information and internet at hand) still see as truths, and that kind of freaks me out!

  • No, not all snakes are venomous. Actually very few species are venomous compared to harmless/non-venomous. If you hike and do that outdoorsy thing, educate yourself on the few venomous species native to your area and just look out for those. For example, in California, the only venomous native snake species here are a few types of rattlesnakes... so any other snake, no matter how colorful or "venomous-looking" you see in the wild is harmless. In fact, ALL species of pythons, boas, kingsnakes, and bullsnakes are truly harmless and non-venomous... contrary to Hollywood crap.

  • No, snakes don't just slither around your house looking for their next meal, if they happen to get out. If your ball python or boa escapes their tanks, they will look for the nearest warm and dark hiding spot, because your house is large and scary and snakes are shy. If your dog or cat finds your snake before you do, I would be scared... for your snake.

  • Snakes actually only eat once a week~every other week, depending on their age! And some very picky feeding species, such as ball pythons and Dumeril's boas, actually imprint on a specific type of prey and refuse to eat anything else. If they have been eating mice, they often won't even eat rats. And likewise, if they have been eating rats, most will not even eat mice. So they definitely won't be looking at your gigantic human head that smells and looks nothing like rats or mice and think that it is food. :P In the eyes of a ball python, humans are a giant scary predator, unless they learn to trust you with handling.

  • No, ball pythons and boas are not fast animals, and they don't just SSSSSSTHTHSHSSSS everywhere at 30mph like an imaginary bullet. They are actually very slow and cautious animals who are quite shy at any fast movement, and will immediately look for a place to hide/curl into a ball thinking they are hiding.

  • "What if you get bitten?" Bites from a ball python are unexpectedly small and pointless. They just have a row of tiny needle teeth. Non-venomous species don't have those imagined two giant fangs. I'd much rather get bitten by a ball python than a rat, dog, or cat. Ball pythons and Dumeril's Boas in particular are very docile and shy snakes that are very reluctant to bite in defense. 99% of the time, they resort to hiding/running away.

  • Pythons aren't intelligent, but they aren't dumb as a rock either. They can tell people apart. Blackout would hiss at her previous breeder whenever he opened her tank, because he brought her to an expo a few months back and she apparently got angry at him! But when he shipped her out to me, she never did hiss at me. She was still fearful at first, as she was, but was aware that I'm not the same person who brought her to the expo.

  • Ball pythons and boas learn to trust you, with handling and time. I don't believe that snakes feel mammal emotions like love, but they definitely learn "humans are not going to hurt me". If anything, they learn "humans are comfortable and pleasant heaters".

  • Ball pythons will not want and are not big enough to eat your dog or cat. They won't even see dogs/cats as food, for the above listed reasons. My dog or cat can bite my shy snakes in half in a second. News of the day, even a small rat that was meant for food can kill and eat a shy ball python when unsupervised.

  • Ball pythons and boas are lazy butts. They don't do anything all day except for sleep under their hide and try to be warm. Yes, that is all they do, just like lizards and other "normal" reptiles.

Except that they're cuter than lizards, obviously.

WOW SO MANY BULLET POINTS. And I'm not even done yet, but I will stop here. :I

Anyway, ball pythons and dumeril's boas are cool and precious. Most of the points listed also applies to kingsnakes, corn snakes, rat snakes, and other species of pythons and boas... with variation of course, being as they are all very different species. 

This was an art post turned into post about snake education woopdeedoo. Hope you liked the art and learned things.

I always thought it was amusing when "big, tough guys" would take selfies holding their ball pythons.  The most friendly shy little cute harmless pointless snake on the planet, it is the least badass selfie they can take.


You should google "ball pythons wearing hats".

No comments:

Post a Comment